There are numerous benefits to converting an existing garage into a living space. Converting existing space may prove cheaper and easier than adding on new buildings and extensions. Whether you want another bedroom, a home office space, a new entertainment area, or play room for the kids, Dunsop Bridge garage conversions offer a more affordable solution to the problem of increased space especially in urbanised areas which may have certain building restrictions. No job is too big or too small for the specialists on our network.
Maximising Garage Space: Garages today are rarely used for parking the car. This space easily becomes cluttered with junk and used as a dumping ground for unwanted household goods when the garage could be so much more. For many people, a garage is wasted space that could easily be converted into a functional living area, be it for work or recreation. Considering buying a new house because you need some extra room? Converting your garage just might be the cheaper and less stressful option. Garage conversions can also increase your property value.
Your extension project deserves only the best professionals working on it. By getting up to four quotes from the UK's largest network of extension experts, you're sure to find the right contractor for you.
Find extension specialists near you
Professional Garage Conversions:
DIY garage conversions are not recommended. Converting the garage requires specific steps for making this external area comfortable and safe. Some of these steps include installing damp proofing, adding extra insulation, upgrading the ventilation, heating and cooling systems, as well as changes and additions to the electric and plumbing systems of your home. It is essential that this type of construction be done by professionals according to local health and safe regulations in accordance with building permissions.
Types of Conversions: Depending on the size and style of your garage, they are easily converted into additional bedrooms, living rooms, home office units, hobby workshops and entertainment areas. Garages can also be converted into self-contained flats with en-suite bathrooms depending on your electrical and plumbing systems. Certain types of conversions may require additional council permissions so always consult with the professionals before starting any construction work.
Turning a Garage into Living Space: If there comes a point in your life when having more living space seems more feasible than having a garage, a garage conversion may be the solution. It's possible to convert your existing garage into a large bedroom, den, or nursery. Keep in mind that an attached garage is far simpler to convert than a detached garage; in the latter case, it may be necessary to add a hallway to join the garage to the rest of the home. Special considerations should be given to plumbing if you plan to add a bathroom to the space, and you may also need to reroute your HVAC to the new space, as well. Your contractor can provide you with more information about this.
Making a Garage Look Like Living Space: If there's one thing that concerns homeowners more than anything else when it comes to garage conversions, it's what the final project will look like once it's complete. After all, no one wants a garage door for a wall, and rightly so. When you hire a professional contractor to complete your garage conversion, you can rest assured that your garage will no longer look like a garage at all. In fact, it'll look like it's always been a part of your home.
Adding a Loft to a Garage: If you need extra living space but you don't want to give up your parking space, you might consider a loft located just above the garage. In fact, this is one of the most popular conversions among UK homeowners today as it allows them to maximize their living area without sacrificing their lawn space. If the loft is built above a garage on a single storey home, then the entrance will need to be inside the garage or via a set of stairs on the outside of the structure. If the loft is attached to the second floor of a multiple storey home, then it's possible to simply connect the new space to the existing space, though it may require a slight change in your floor plan depending on the placement of hallways, bathrooms, and more.
The Cost of Garage Conversions: The cost of garage conversions Dunsop Bridge depends on several factors. The size of the project and the duration of the physical labour required have the greatest effect on the price. Additional services such as re-enforcing foundations, completing brickwork, changing electrics, adding to plumbing and installing insulation will also have an effect on the price. DIY conversions may be tempting to help cut costs but badly done DIY construction could end up costing you more in the long run, while compromising the structural integrity of your home.
Want a new entertainment area or play room for the kids? Need an extra bedroom or home office space? Want to turn your junk room into a granny flat? Garage conversions Dunsop Bridge may be your best solution. We operate all year round. Take a minute to fill in our online form, providing us with a few details about your ideal living space and we'll take care of the rest. We guarantee to find you the best professional services at the lowest prices. Contact us today for a free, no obligation quote and turn that cluttered garage into a brand new living space that adds value to your home.
You can save on new Dunsop Bridge garage conversion work
Your Dunsop Bridge garage conversion questions answered
- What can garage conversions be used for? Garage conversions can be used for anything you like, including an extra bedroom, a family room, or even a guest suite.
- What options are there for heating and cooling my garage once it is converted? A number of options are available, including wall radiators, window air conditioning units and portable heating and cooling devices.
- Do I need to obtain planning permissions before I start a garage conversion? It's always best to check, but generally the only time you need to get planning permissions for garage conversions is if you are planning to expand the garage beyond its already existing boundaries. If the conversion is entirely internal, you shouldn't need permissions.
- Can I do a garage conversion myself? Yes, to an extent. if you are an experienced builder then basic conversions to turn a garage into a room or storage areas can be done as a do it yourself job. Anything that requires expanding the garage itself should be handled by a contractor.
- Is it difficult to add plumbing to a garage when converting it? Plumbing is actually very easy to add to attached garages, as you only need to hook onto your existing pipes. Complete plumbing installation may be needed for detached garages however.
- Will converting my garage improve my home's value? Converting your garage into living space may or may not increase your home's value. This depends upon the size of your home in total and whether garages are in demand in your local area. If converting your garage will add significant living space to a small home, then your home value is likely to increase. Conversely, if your existing home is quite large already, the increase in market value may be minimal.
- Can I turn my garage into an apartment? If you have an adult child or elderly parent living in your home, or if you simply want to rent out part of your home to earn a profit, then you may consider converting your garage into a full-fledged apartment. This is certainly possible as long as your garage is large enough to hold a studio-sized apartment. This may require different permits, though, and it is a more labour- and material-intensive project. Be sure to put this in your quote request so the local contractors can quote you appropriately.
- Can contractors make my garage space larger, too? It's possible for contractors to carry out a conversion and extension at the same time. This may be ideal in some situations, including when adding a loft above the garage. In this manner, you can add some extra garage space and living space at the same time.
Complete Our Conversion Form
It only takes a minute to let us know some information about your planned garage conversion.
Receive Your Free Quotes
Up to four garage conversion specialists near you provide you their cheapest quotes direct.